I have always wanted to visit a yoga retreat and understand what this world is about. Yoga has become such a "trend" lately, but I wanted to learn about the true physical, mental and spiritual elements of this ancient practice. What do they actually mean and how can yoga help me gain more energy, harmony and self-love?
Never did I think I would actually get the opportunity to travel somewhere like the Canary Islands! Especially somewhere as beautiful as Fuerteventura! I spent an absolutely magical week with Azulfit. I have learnt many lessons that will give me strength during this challenging period in my life where I work a lot in a city that never sleeps. Most importantly not to determine my success and happiness on external and materialistic factors I cannot control; money comes and goes, careers can change and relationships can alter as you grow up. It is important to find true peace within yourself and to be the master of your own happiness.
Azulfit was created by Jamie and Karissa Isaac to inspire individuals to realise their potential, both mentally and physically. All teachers are compassionate and internationally certified. Jamie is a classical "peak" Pilates master instructor, certified by Lolita San Miguel who was certififed by Joe Pilates himself!
People come here from all over the world to rebalance, detox and learn how to build a sustainable and positive lifestyle. We had 12 people my group (98% women!), aged between 23-55, from a range of nationalities and careers. I was a bit worried about traveling here on my own, but I cannot stress enough how positive the environment was. Everyone was there to learn about yoga, spirituality and how to grow into the best version of themselves. By the end of the week we were much closer to our fitness goals, rather than further away. How many holidays can you say that about?!
There are two retreat centers in Fuerteventura (Surya retreat and Lotus retreat) which are open all year round, in addition to retreats in beautiful Santorini and sunny California. Azulfit has been featured in publications such as The Times, The Guardian and The Huffington Post. The prices range between 665-1,340 euro, so there is a package for everyone! This includes the yoga/pilates sessions, a complementary massage, delicious food and accommodation.
Our Daily Schedule:
- 8am-9/9:30am: Meditation or yoga session
- 10:30am: Delicious organic breakfast cooked by Jo and her lovely team. They make EVERYTHING themselves...the ghee, jams, granola and even yogurt! They find the most clever alternatives to butter, white flour, sugar and processed foods. Although the thought of vegetarian food might sound scary...trust me, we would always wait for the kitchen doors to open and pile up our plates with this nutritious food!
- 11:00am-5pm: Free time for you to do whatever you like! Lounge by the pool, soaking up the sun and finally reading all those books on your list. I chose to use this time to explore and go to the STUNNING beaches in Corralejo and El Cotillo, go surfing and on volcano hikes. It was the perfect balance between active adventure and rest; the best of both worlds... yin and yang!
- 5pm-6:30pm: Yoga or pilates class
- 7:30pm-8:30pm: Dinner
- 8:30pm-bed time: More chilling! This is the perfect sanctuary to take as much time for yourself as you need, and there is always a group giggling away in the living room if you are looking for company
Location 1: Surya Retreat
This retreat has only been opened a few months ago, so it is brand new! I was lucky enough to stay in this little piece of secluded paradise overlooking the ethereal volcanic landscape. I stayed in a little wooden cabin (so cute!) right next to the pool. This location is ideal for recharging your batteries, away from the hustle and bustle of the town. The white sand beaches are only a 15 minute ride away and I recommend doing the 6am hike up Montaña de Escanfraga-breath taking views!
Location 2: Lotus Retreat
This retreat is located in the center of Corralejo and is a short walk to Waikiki beach where they do yoga every morning. The accommodation is modern and warm with beautiful bright rooms. This is a good choice if you are looking to combine some restaurant hopping and nightlife with your relaxing holiday.
Did I mention the beaches?! Unlike the rest of the Canary Islands that have black rocky beaches, Fuerteventura gets it's white sandy beaches blown over from the Sahara desert! 😍 Pristine, secluded and simply magical.
I left feeling completely refreshed and energised! Totally inspired to continue with guided meditation and do more of yoga and pilates in London.
Here are some great upcoming retreats with Azulfit you should check out: